Thread: Micro-blasting treatment applied to Solid Gold nib (Research Log 5/14/24)

Thanks

Default Micro-blasting treatment applied to Solid Gold nib (Research Log 5/14/24)

Hello, this is Fountain Pen Research.
    To this date, I researched the microblasting process on Bock stainless steel nibs and successfully applied it.

This effectively removed scratches from batch polishing process by Bock.

This time, upon request, I applied the microblasting process to an 18K gold nib for the first time.
    Solid gold is a softer material than stainless steel, so it required more delicate care.

Upon close inspection, the original polished nib has many fine scratches.
    The fine scratches can be effectively removed by the micro-blasting process.
    the process will create perfectly even micro-hammered texture on the surface.
    Through this research,

I created an independant microblasting system for the gold nib (even one piece of nib can be done).
    The process can now be done smoothly.
    thank*you

eurekafp.com
    insta: eureka_fp

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to dovidu For This Useful Post:

Bisquitlips (May 14th, 2024), catbert (May 15th, 2024), Deb (May 14th, 2024), dneal (May 15th, 2024), Yazeh (May 14th, 2024)

Thanks

Default Re: Micro-blasting treatment applied to Solid Gold nib (Research Log 5/14/24)

Quote Originally Posted by dovidu View Post
    even one piece of nib can be done
    Does this mean you could create a "two-tone" nib where part of the nib stamping is microblasted instead of being plated in rhodium?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Osiris For This Useful Post:

Bisquitlips (May 14th, 2024)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,349 Times in 1,348 Posts

Default Re: Micro-blasting treatment applied to Solid Gold nib (Research Log 5/14/24)

Cool idea, and should be relatively easy by just masking.

@dovidu - the fine scratches are easily removed with a Sunshine Cloth buffing wheel*. You could also use one to shine up the high points of your micro-texture and increase the contrast - or even polish/mask/texture/polish/remove mask for a neat effect.

*I get these: LINK from a U.S. jewelry supplier, but I should think they're available in your country as well. They're 1" (25mm) in diameter and fit on a Dremel.
    "A truth does not mind being questioned. A lie does not like being challenged."

Thanks

I also would like to see a highly polished gold nib be turned into a two-toned nib by masking off the part of the nib to be kept as highly polished.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,108 Times in 404 Posts

Yes. It can be done, though you'd want to use a much finer abrasive than the OP used. His craters the surface more than actually frosting it. Air pressure and grit determine how deep the frosting of the metal is. A finer grit gives more of a matte finish. Higher air pressure cuts deeper.

Several pen manufacturers have done it on their nibs. This is a nib that I frosted, one that had been repaired, and had badly worn stamping. I masked the edges at the front for the shiny chevron look. The late 30s Aureas had a section and feed that was identical to a flat top Duofold section, and the repaired nib was from a Duofold. It served in my Aurea until I could find a suitable, and better, nib for the pen.

Visit Main Street Pens
    A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful pen repair....
    Please contact us by email, and not PM for repair inquiries.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ron Z For This Useful Post:

Bisquitlips (May 15th, 2024), catbert (May 15th, 2024), Yazeh (May 15th, 2024)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,349 Times in 1,348 Posts

I kinda like the texture @dovidu achieved.
    "A truth does not mind being questioned. A lie does not like being challenged."